Your Child Matters
Welcome to the Protecting Innocence website. My name is Diane Obbema. During my 12 years as a police detective, I investigated over 300 cases of child sexual abuse. I have a unique understanding of this crime, its victims, and its perpetrators.
Whether you are a mother, father, aunt, grandparent, teacher or childcare professional -- you have a child you love. Tragically, in today's world there are daily reminders of innocent children being molested. Like you, I want to take an active role to prevent any harm coming to the ones I love.
To help you, I have written the book Protecting Innocence. It will teach you how to discuss sexual safety with your child in a tactful, age-appropriate way to maximize his or her safety.
This book will help you…
Make critical choices for protective boundaries around your child.
Be comfortable in parent-child conversations about private parts.
Teach respect for their bodies and to expect respect from others.
Ease your children’s fears and build stronger confidence.
Recognize red flags indicating inappropriate interest in your child.
Understand a child's heart and mind when pressured by someone.
Build a trust that encourages your child to confide in you.
Learn 10 ways to be a more approachable parent.
Let me know how you liked the book! Anyone who loves a child will benefit
from reading Protecting Innocence.
Child Sexual Abuse Facts
• 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be molested before their 18th birthday.
• 93% of sexual assaults against children are committed by someone the victim knew.
• The typical sexual predator will assault 117 times before being caught.
• The re-arrest rate for convicted child molesters is 52%
• In 80% of all non-family abductions, the first contact occurs within a quarter mile of the child’s home.
• A child is reported missing every 40 seconds, and one in four of these are abducted and molested.
Source: Dept of Justice, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children